Book your place
Only 7 tickets left
About this event
Come with us as we return to Papplewick Pumping
Station this autumn with photographer Nick Halling who will be leading this day, guiding you on how to take stunning environmental portraiture! This is an
event that will aim to push boundaries of your photography, creating images fit for publication. With our two models Ivy and Elle (pictured above), we aim to teach and show you how to get fantastic environmental portraits, using the pump house, engine room, workshop and grounds of this wondeful Victorian pumping station.
This day is open to all levels of photographers that not only strive to make great
pictures but also wishs to further the knowledge of their equipment,
approaches and techniques. This is a fantastic opportunity to get expert advice from an experienced portrait photographer.
This event is open to 16 photographers only.
What to expect:
- 2 beautiful models Ivy and Elle pictured above
- Stunning surroundings & elaborate Victorian engeneering and deco
- A photo opportunity everywhere you turn
- Masses of atmosphere
- Wonderful period backdrops
- Tips, advice and how to use natural and man made lighting
- Mixing ambient with flash lighting indoors
We will explore, discuss and put into practice the following, during the event:
- Creative approaches and compositional ideas
- Using models in conjuction with your lens apertures to create impact
- Getting the best out of your lens and using depth of field
- Shutter speed, aperture and ISO’s for ‘people’ photography
- Shooting hand held
- Using natural light
- Using constant light sources and flash lighting
- Using a live model and directing your subject
During the event there will be sufficient opportunity not only to record the inspirational scenery but also to speak with Nick on a one to one basis. We will have review sessions throughout the day to ensure that everyone has made the best of their time with us with short Q&A sessions and image reviews.
Things to bring along:
- Your camera
- Spare battery
- Your favourite lens/lense, a wide angle and zoom range
- Flash Gun (not essential)
- Spare memory cards (lots)
- Something to make notes withif you want to write down any tips
- Appropriate clothing for outdoor photography and walking shoes as the pump house has uneven ground and areas can be dusty.
This event will start at a very reasonable 10.30 with coffees and introductions. Shooting will start soon after and we will work on location around the pump house until lunchtime. With lunch being an informal affair when we can also use the time for Q&A. After the break we will then work through to around 16.15, giving us plenty of shooting opportunities and a chance for a chat with Nick at the end of the day which will finish up at 16:30.
Please note, some images are to illustrate location and models for our day. Both of the models confirmed for the day are pictured on the top left of the image above.
- Spare batteries
- Lense cloths
- All levels welcome
- Sturdy outdoor shoes
- Warm clothing